5.23.2008

INDIA, 5.23.08

5.23.08

For the past 24 hours, I have had "This Time Tomorrow," by the Kinks, playing over and over in my mind. Now it really is this time, tomorrow, that I will be checking in at the MSP airport, embarking on another crazy adventure. I have a tendency to get myself into situations like this without fully realizing what I've gotten myself into. (So far, fortunately, it has worked out.) I can't really say why I'm going. The day before leaving for Christmas break, I saw a poster advertising this class, thought, "Darn it, Kelsye, you'll probably never go to India otherwise," and went to the Global Studies office to pick up an app. Now here am I, five months later, with this romanticized vision of a far-off land: colorful silks, spicy food, simple lives, the Beatles chilling in an ashram, Buddha, enlightenment, and, yes, tele-operators who speak English better than me.

I am not nervous. Far from it, really. I thought I would be afraid of missing people, of missing familiarity and comfort--not so much, though. Maybe that will change... As of right now, I just want to get on that plane and leave. Go. Get away. I've been packed and ready to go since Tuesday, when I came back to the Twin Cities, and since then, it's been a long few days of walking, reading, writing, and thinking. Lots of thinking. And, while I'm grateful for this time to be alone and reflect before going to India, I'm just want to hurry up and go now. It's a strange feeling somewhere between independence and loneliness. For example, I am perfectly capable of getting to the airport on my own. I've done it umpteen times. This time, though, it's a little peculiar not having anyone to kiss goodbye. But, alas, so it goes.

Peace out~ if all goes as planned, the next time I write, I'll finally be there (and probably wanting to be back here--funny how that works...). Love to all, ~kg

2 comments:

mamasabow said...

Hello Kelsye Belle! We are eager to hear about your flight and landing. I read your blogs to Grams and she looks forward to them. Stay safe and know you are loved.

Anonymous said...

hey girl hey! it your sister. i absolutely love you!! and i heard you called this morning. boy am i jealous, no one even waked me up! i'm checkin out your hotel right now. and wow o wow. now what kinda of a room are you staying in cuz i wanna see the picture of it on the website. and i want to hear about more of INDIA so dang girl....write another blog.