5.28.2008

New Delhi (2)

5.28.08

Today was Gandhi day. Randall, you would have loved it. ;) Our first stop this morning was at the Raj Ghat, a national monument where Gandhi was cremated. Then we returned to the Gandhi Peace Foundation for another lecture and lunch. In the afternoon, we visited the Gandhi Smriti, where he spent his last 100-some days and was ultimately assassinated, and the National Gandhi Museum. He was a great man, and I've enjoyed studying him, but I'm a little Gandhi-ed out, to be honest.

Fortunately, we are moving on the the Dalai Lama tomorrow! We are boarding a train at 5am to the mountains where we will then transfer to car to make our way up to the little Tibetan refuge village of Dharmasala. I'm looking forward to it, but all this go-go-go is starting to take a toll on me. Hopefully we will have a little more time to ourselves in Dharmasala. There is still all this reading that I'm supposed to do, but I have a VERY hard time motivating myself to sit in my room and read about India when I could be out EXPERIENCING it. I hate the "study" part of study abroad trips.

I finally found an Internet cafe at which I've been able to spend a decent amount of time writing. New Delhi is unlike any big city I've ever visited. For one, there are very few tall buildings. Most of the city is relatively flat. Also, it is a strange paradox between the fancy billboards for UCB, America's Next Top Model, and Rolex watches and the poor, simple people that fill the streets. I don't think there is such thing as a mall, and I highly doubt anyone has a TV with cable in their tarp tents. My professor told me, "In America, you can kiss anywhere in the streets and pee nowhere. In India, you can pee anywhere, and kiss nowhere." While I'm loving this incredible experience, I'm beginning to like America more and more... ;)

Well, I best close for now. It is getting dark out, and I have to navigate my way back through the twisted streets to the hotel. I miss all of you dearly, and I hope to write again soon from Dharmasala. Peace and love. ~Kels

2 comments:

mamasabow said...

Kelsye, you write so descriptively that it makes me want to go to India! You are having fabulous experiences. I was particularly fascinated by your meditation experience. It really can rejuvenate you, can't it. Keep those blogs coming. They're great. I love you! A.A.

rdhade said...

Kels, sounds like you're having a sweet time. I bet that landscape is brilliant. Oh and by the way, Tim asks that if possible you should get him some "masala" tea. He says its pretty cheap.