6.02.2008

Dharmasala (5)

6.2.08

Yesterday morning, most of our group went on a hike in the foothills of the Himalayans. It was spectacular. I cannot convey the beauty justly, but I will try: snow-topped mountains, fresh mountain air, the sound of running water winding through the hills, tiny huts with monks poking their heads out, cows wandering on the trail, Tibetan prayer flags throughout the forest, and, finally, an awesome spring with the clearest water I have ever seen. It was incredible. In all, it was a 6-7 K hike through steep terrain, leaving some more worn out than others. ;)

When we returned to Dharmasala, I went to a coffee shop for lunch where I enjoyed a grilled Swiss sandwich and the best latte I have ever tasted. I tried to read a bit of the book by Ama Adhe, a 79-year-old Tibetan refugee who was in prison in Tibet for 27 years, since were were meeting her later that afternoon. It was hard to concentrate, though, because I kept eavesdropping on the couple who was sitting near by speaking French. I asked them where they were from before I left, though, and they said Holland. Go figure.

When we met with Ama Adhe, we had a translator because she cannot even read or write, let alone speak English. Despite all the suffering she has witnessed, she is still smiling. Her heart is enormous, and she had the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen--sad, yet hopeful; tired, yet vibrant. Simply being in her presence was incredible. The Chinese have taken her family, her friends, and her home, but her spirit is alive and well.

For dinner, I ate at Jimmy's, "The Best Italian Restaurant in Town." I had a nice penne with a creamy sauce, although, this morning, I'm regretting it, as I'm not feeling my bestest. I slept a lot last night (perhaps too much) and I awoke to a rainy, gloomy day. As much as I love the rain, it does absolutely nothing for my mood. I am trying to live in the present and enjoy the moment, but it is hard for me. I keep thinking, "Oh, I wish so-and-so were here. He/She'd love this!" or "I can't wait to get home in two weeks and tell so-and-so about this." I love writing to you all, though, and even more so when you write back! Thank you.

This morning, we had a meditation session for those who wanted. Then we are headed down the hill to the Tibetan Library. This evening we are seeing a performance by the Tibetan Institute for the Performing Arts--a company which has come to Minneapolis before--and I am very excited, because I think this may be what I write my final research paper on. I'm not so sure how much information is out there about it, though. I guess I will find out.

Well, I best go, so as not to be late for the next thing. As always, peace and love. ~kg

No comments: