6.14.2008

New Delhi (10)

6.14.08

My last day in Delhi. My last day in India...for now. ;) I board that much welcomed plane in 7 hours; then it's a hop, skip, and jump over the North Pole, a stop in Chi-town, a couple more classes in the Cities, and I'm home! To kill some time beforehand, though, here's a recap of the past few days:

In my last post, I was so flustered, I completely forgot to write about our last day in Kausani. I opted out of doing chores at the ashram in the morning (I've shoveled enough crap in my life, I didn't feel like doing it for "fun"). We trekked up the hill before lunch, though, just in time for spinning--not the aerobics class, but the twisting of fibers into yarn. We used a very simple hand spool, nothing like the elaborate wheel and treadle that Aunt Sue so patiently tried to teach me to use several years ago. (If there is anything you can learn from spinning, it is patience.) Nonetheless, it was great fun, sitting on the floor with all these young girls, spinning away! I didn't want to stop. But, alas, the lunch bell rang. After lunch, the scraps were put in a bucket for the cows to finish off. This made me laugh because our piggies do the same thing with the leftovers from the Children's Home. Instant recycling.

Yesterday, the day after everyone else ventured to the Taj Mahal, I felt much more myself after a good day's rest. We had one final class at the Gandhi Peace Foundation where we discussed women in Indian society. It has been a strange experience walking down the street and realizing, "I am the only female on this entire block." I haven't necessarily felt unsafe, but a lot of us were wondering where all the women are. (Keep in mind I go to Feminazi University. It rubs off after a while.) We talked a lot about cultural relativism versus imposing our western ideas of feminism. Apparently, more and more Indian women are working outside of the home, but I'm still confused about how they get to and fro. Clearly, they aren't walking. Ironically, however, women in India have had the right to vote for far longer than those of us in the US. Go figure.

In the afternoon, I paid a visit to the Crafts Museum. It was very super cool, especially the extensive exhibit of saris spread up and down the walls. The fabric was absolutely gorgeous. Every color imaginable. There was also some incredible jewelry and the most finely carved ivory--so beautiful, but so not kosher... In the back garden, there were several tribes represented from across the country, each with their own specialty handicrafts. Finding a sweet pair of funky sandals, I can now leave India satisfied. (I decided I'll just have to have a museum of shoes some day to make up for my addiction.)

We had our "final banquet" at a fine Indian restaurant. Not only was it "13 June," my cousin Jack's birthday, and Friday the 13th, it was also the birthday of one of the women in our class. The restaurant made a gorgeous cake, and though it didn't taste nearly as good as it looked, the whole surprise was great fun. Upon returning to the hotel, I wasn't feelin' so hot, so I turned in early like the old lady I am. So much for my last night in Delhi...

I awoke this morning still feeling a bit under the weather, but the prospect of coming home has carried me through the day. I came across a place that did henna, and figuring I couldn't leave India without some ornate ink, I now feel like the woman with the tattooed hands in that Atmosphere song. :) My roommate and I caught an Indian film in the heat of the morning, something called Sarkar Raj. I can't tell you much about it because, except for a few lines like, "Dad, I can't deal with him. His attitude is negative," the whole thing was in Hindi. The music was ridiculous--uber loud and over dramatic, and the camera angles were constantly changing, making for a dizzying experience. Afterwards, I used up most of my rupees doing a little last minute "shoppy-shoppy," as my father would say. Now I just hope it all fits in my suitcase...

Well, it's about that time. I have a few more hours before we part for the old air-o-port, and I should probably start to think about packing. Can't wait to see you all in person and get those greatly missed hugs! I think that's one of the things I've missed most. In France, everyone kisses; at home, everyone hugs; here, people just stare and smile. Regardless, it won't be long now! As always, peace and love. ~kag

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

clomid | safe buy clomid online - cost of clomid, clomid trigger shot