6.03.2008

Dharmasala (6)

6.3.08

I am writing while I have a moment, as I am not sure how much access to Internet/phone I will have in the upcoming days. Tomorrow we are leaving for Delhi, hopefully by train, and the next two days will be spent traveling to Kausani by bus. I'm not looking terribly forward to leaving Dharmasala, and word has it that the mountain driving to Kausani is even scarier than what we experienced on our way here. I can't even imagine!

After leaving the Internet cafe yesterday, I headed down to the taxi stop to meet the group on our way to the Tibetan Library. There was a big hullabaloo in the street, though, because, as it turned out, the Dalai Lama was on his way home. A few minutes later, four black Mercedes drove past, one of which presumably drove his Holiness. We had heard he was in the UK during our time here, and though we still won't get to see him vis-a-vis, at least we can say we were a few meters away from him! Apparently he is coming to Madison in July, so perhaps I will have to make a road trip then and see him in the US.

At the library yesterday, we met another monk, this one the former English translator to the Dalai Lama, the Venerable Lhakdor. He was a brilliant human being, and he said so much with so few words--something I have much difficulty with. :) He mentioned the importance of laughter and making people smile, and I thought of my fabulous friends and family and how much laughing we do! Another thing he said that struck me was, "In order for the world to change, individuals must be able to change." It all starts with an individual. This was very hopeful, especially after all the depressing things we've been seeing and learning.

The highlight of my day--besides possibly seeing the Dalai Lama roll by in his Cedes--was the private performance at the Tibetan Institute for the Performing Arts we were able to attend last night. I did several Tibetan folk dances to traditional music, and it was enthralling. I felt like I was back at the International Dance Festival in China (though I doubt they were ever even invited). We met the director, and I got his card because I am fairly certain I will be writing my final research paper on this organization. They are coming to Minneapolis in spring of '09, so you, too, can see for yourself! (That was my plug.)

Today was spent at Dolma Ling, the Tibetan Nuns Project where a community of Buddhist nuns live in lower Dharmasala. The nunnery was gorgeous, and I was very impressed by their technology. They are nearly completely sustainable, except for their vegetables which they couldn't manage to grow in the irregular weather, and their next project is a solar water heater. Before we left, we got to see the nuns practice their daily debate. Now, I was never much into forensics, but this "debate" was pretty darn awesome. One person is sitting and the other is standing, and through a process of crazy hand gestures and slapping of body parts, back and forth, the two debate a certain topic. I just wanted to know what they were talking about. Regardless, it was quite the sight.

Also this afternoon, we visited the Norbulingka Arts Institute. It was like a little arts community with people painting, sewing detailed appliqué, working metal, carving wood, and creating other various handicrafts. It was very cool to see. All the artists chilling out and doing their crafts made me think of the Black Hills Playhouse, and I suddenly really missed it.

We now have a couple hours to relax/pack/do some last minute shopping before our "banquet" this evening, a traditional Tibetan meal that our more-adventurous-when-it-comes-to-eating professor has arranged for us. I'm feeling a little better about eating more exotic food, though, because I picked up some cipro at a pharmacy this afternoon, per mi padre y mi madre's suggestion. Apparently they fed this to me every day when we were in the D.R., but they never thought to send it with me when I have to take care of myself in India. ;)

Well, I better get a'packing. Hope all is well with everyone back home. Missing you in India!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have truly enjoyed your accounts of your Indian adventure. I would love to see the mountains, but the rest sounds way too primitive for me. It is amazing the inequities in our world. I always think of going to Mexico-slums next to mansions. Take care! Enjoy the Cipro!

Anonymous said...

I realized as anonymous, since I don't have an account, you might not know who wrote the comment! It is me Aunt Sharon! I also want to thank you agin for helping prepare the food for Lexi's party. It was greatly appreciated. Did I tell you Minerva's was advertising for a "Sioux Chef"? lol See you in July!

Anonymous said...

Wow, now "sioux chef" is funny! :)

mamasabow said...

Kelsye, maybe you should go into writing. You're very descriptive and I feel as though I can see what you're seeing! You're having such a marvelous experience. Wouldn't it be amusingthat you would see the Dhali L. in Madison, when you were right there at his home in Dharmasala?

We love your adventures. AA

Anonymous said...

What fun we are having reading your blog! Uncle David and I are thoroughly enjoying it! We can hardly wait to see your photos/slide show! I keep telling you to go into photo journalism! I think it's your nitch! You seem to be able to capture the moment succinctly in the written word! Kudos to you!

Love you lots! Be safe!
Aunt Patty