6.08.2008

Kausani (8)

6.9.08

This morning, while enjoying my breakfast of toast and jam in the garden, a monkey poked his head through the blind. Giving me a look as to say, "Don't you dare say anything," he hopped on the table next to mine and grabbed a couple butter packets which he dropped. Then he went for the sugar, picking up the spoon in his little hand and shoveling it into his mouth! After a few spoon-fulls, he nixed the spoon and just stuck his head in the bowl. Finally, the waiters returned and shooed the poor thing away. It was quite comical!

Yesterday, we awoke to a light mist that lifted before our 10-K hike to yet another Hindu temple. "English David," as we call him, from Lakshmi Ashram led the hike, clad in his homespun and worn out flip-flops. On our hike, we saw a lot of tea growing on the terraced hills. We also passed several flooded fields with women bent over, ankle-deep, planting rice. It looked like laborious work, but I suppose they don't know anything else. Seeing all this farming has made me excited to get back home and work in the garden and vineyard. I know...nerdy...but for some reason I like it.

Though most of the hike was downhill, the heat and hunger started wearing people down, and by the time we arrived several hours later, the overall morale had gone south in a hurry. (I feel like I'm writing about the Oregon Trail...). To be honest, I would never want to lead a group of 20 women to India. It is so hard to find a balance between keeping busy and over-working us. At this point, almost everyone is sick of traveling and getting antsy to go home. While I am greatly looking forward to going home, I am trying my best to live day-by-day and savor these last few days. It seems like ages ago that we left!

Fortunately, the bus came to take us back up the mountain. During the hour ride 'round the wicked hair-pin turns, we started singing off-key snippets of old 70's and 80's songs, rather loudly. A little Afternoon Delight, some Tom Petty, and a little Iko Iko seemed to cheer everyone up. When we got back to the hotel, I took a much welcomed cold shower, but I had to do it camping-style with a bucket to avoid flooding the bathroom. ;)

For dinner, I had some delicious macaroni and cheese with a stuffed tomato. I have noticed that the food is very literal in India. If you are craving something, you probably shouldn't order it because it will be nothing like what you were expecting. For example, the macaroni and cheese was exactly that--macaroni noodles with cheese sprinkled on top. And my stuffed tomato was one of the wackiest things I've had thus far: a tomato stuffed with paneer cheese in a sort of gravy that was both sweet and cinnamon-y. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't in my wildest hallucinations have thought of combining those flavors!

One of my favorite things in India is how friendly everyone is. I'll be walking down the street, and everyone will smile and say, "Namaste!" or "Hello!" Quite frequently, I'll be stopped and asked where I am from, what my name is, how long I've been in India, whether I like it, etc. This morning, a little boy, no more than 4 years old, came up to me, shook my hand, and said, "I love you!" before running away. And yesterday, a woman told me I had to visit the state where Gandhi was born (it starts with a -r, but I don't remember...). I told her not this trip, but perhaps some day, and she said, "Yes, come back when you are married with husband for honeymoon." That made me laugh. Someday, maybe!

Uncle David, in response to your comment, I doubt anyone here knows about Crazy Horse...but I did have a funny revelation the other day when we were sitting "Indian-style" eating lunch at the ashram. I always thought that referred to Native American Indians, but I guess the Indian-Indians also sit like that. Go figure. They have more in common than sill Columbus gave them credit for!

Well, this may be the last "post" I write for another couple days, as we are starting the 2-day journey by bus back to Delhi tomorrow. Hugs and kisses from the "Switzerland of India!"

1 comment:

Sister no. 1 said...

Oh my gosh, and now you're off to your spinning class. Maybe you can come back with your sister...not your husband. I wouldn't mind. Plus, I couldn't agree more with that little boy would ran up to in the street. I LOVE YOU TOOOOO! i lovelovelove reading your posts. I can't wait to see you in some weeks.
<3 Aish