6.06.2008

Kausani (7)

6.7.08

I tried publishing this post earlier this morning, but there was a power outage and I lost what I had begun. As I type this now, though, I have the most incredible view of the snow-caped Himalayan mountains out the window. The clouds just lifted enough to see them off in the distance, and it is incredible! I am in Kausani, a very small village in the mountains where we are visiting Lakshmi Ashram, a Gandhian school for girls. But first I will fill you in on what has happened since last I wrote...

We left Dharmasala on Wednesday morning, taking a 3-hour taxi ride to the train station in Chakki Bank. The train ride was much more pleasant than I had anticipated. In fact, I have ridden in far worse trains in Europe. Then again, we did have 2nd class sleeper cars, so I lounged out for the 8-hour journey with my suitcase as a pillow. While on the train, I became friends with an 8-and-a-half year old Indian girl named Smriti. She was ridiculously smart, not to mention cute. She shared her roti and bhindi (a flat bread and okra) with us, and I shared my i-pod with her as she was much intrigued by American music. It was a fun exchange of cultures. And to think I learned so much from an eight-and-a-half year old! For instance, she told me that the grass huts that are so common on the farms are, in fact, homes, but only for one person.

Upon arriving to Delhi and navigating through the chaotic masses of humanity at the train station, we returned to the Park hotel for a night of much welcome sleep. My throat was sore, though, but I attributed this to the horrible air quality.

The next morning, we awoke a 5am for a 12-hour bus ride to Nainital. One of our professors picked up the morning pape, and informed us that Obama had accepted the Democratic presidential nomination. After the past few months of cut-throat politics, hearing this news in India was rather anti-climactical. The drive through the mountains to Nainital made even my nerves-of-steel uneasy. At times, I looked out the window to see our bus only inches away from the drop-off into nothingness. Fortunately, we finally arrived and the town was gorgeous. Our elegant room at the Hotel Classic had a spectacular view of the glimmering lake, surrounded by the beautiful mountains. I got the feeling, though, that this was where all the Indians come for vacation, as I did not see a single other white/Western person that wasn't part of our group.

I was rather nervous for the bus ride the following day from Nainital to our final destination, Kausani. It was a 5-hour trek, and word had it that the mountains were even scarier. I couldn't imagine. Following my mum's advice, I sat on the inside aisle of the bus, and listened to episodes of This American Life for the majority of the ride yesterday. About half-an-hour after leaving, though, I had a bit of a scare. My hands were getting progressively tinglier, to the point where I could hardly move them. I was a little short of breath, as well, so I popped a couple Benadryl and a couple other girls started massaging my hands. Much to my gratitude, I regained feeling in my hands and could move them as usual about 30 minutes later. Later that evening, after arriving safely in Kausani, I called up Uncle David and explained the ordeal. He suspects I have a bit of a virus (i.e. my sore throat), and the stress of traveling made my body go into a sort of shock. I was just glad to hear it was nothing worse. I got a solid 10 hours of sleep last night, and for the most part, I have been feeling fine today. It is so hard to enjoy this trip when I am constantly worrying about my health! Hopefully that is the end of my problems until I return to the US.

Kausani is...rustic. Our "hotel" reminds me much of the Black Hills Playhouse, and, though our sheets are disgusting, our shower is sans curtain with a small hole in the bathroom floor, and the power turns on and off at whim, I find some consolation in pretending I'm camping back at the BHP. ;) In fact, I find it rather humorus that I traveled half-way around the world to visit another pine forest. It looks very much like home.

Today we visited Lakshmi Ashram, our reason for making this two-day journey through the crazy mountains. It was about a 30-minute hike up a steep hill in the cool rain, but it was totally worth it. Every now and then I have these moments where it feels as though all time stops and I know I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Sitting on the floor, eating lunch with my hands prepared by the girls at the ashram today was one of these moments. I can't really explain it, but it was cool. Seeing the young girls was energizing and inspiring. They live such simple lives, but they are all smiles! The director spoke with us about living life with "only what you need." I realize I have been very blessed in my life, and while I doubt I will go home and give up all my material possessions, I am certainly thankful for those "extras" that have been given to me. All my life is a gift. I have come to realized what is important in life. It is love. It is laughter. It is inner peace and happiness. And these I can only receive from human beings--my family and friends, and perhaps even my enemies. ;)

Now that I've shared my sappy, idealistic revelation-for-the-day with you, I best come to a close. Thanks to those who have left their comments. It's good to hear from you! I love writing this, and I am glad you (or at least some) are enjoying it. Also, thanks, Dad, for your emails and bits of wisdom. You always seem to know exactly what I need to hear: "Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Be patient with yourself." By know I should have know you'd say that. ;)

3 comments:

mamasabow said...

Kelsye, this is from Uncle David: "While you're in the "real India" I wish you to see if Crazy Horse and Geronimo ever lived there! After all, they're the most famous Indians ever, besides Ghandi! Perhaps we should start carving a mountain of Ghandi in the Black Hills!!" Love you, Uncle David

Terri Bianca said...

Hi Kelsye,
Just want you to know how much I am enjoying your daily posts. I can't wait to tell the "littles" about the monkey. They'll get a big kick out of that. Hope you continue to feel better. I've been praying that you will. You are a brave young woman and it makes me feel very old sometimes! Looking forward to seeing you and some pictures at Christopher's wedding. Love, Aunt Terri

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelsye,
What fun you are having...in some warped sense that is! :) You are going to have some great stories to tell us at the wedding. I can hardly wait. How is their tea? Have you found any new ones that we haven't tried yet? Do you have any favorite foods or sweets of theirs? I know you 've been sick and taking it careful, but is there anything that stands out as voila`?

I'm anxious to see you back home safe and sound and to hear all about your adventures first hand! Lots of hugs and kisses!
Aunt Patty