6.12.2008

New Delhi (9)

Right now, the rest of my class is visiting one of the wonders of our world, the majestic Taj Mahal. And what am I doing? Sitting in a hot, sticky, Internet cafe in Delhi because--you guessed it--I am sick again. I'm not looking for sympathy, mind you; I just need to vent. So, please excuse my overly emotional state.

We got back to Delhi yesterday evening and checked back into the Park hotel. I had an annoying "smoker's throat," again, and was rather exhausted from the two days of bumpy bus riding (funny how sitting in a bus, doing nothing, wears one out...), but figured it wasn't anything a good night's sleep couldn't cure. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and when our 4:40 am wake-up call came, I knew there was no way I'd be able to endure the 2-hour train ride and the long day of being in the hot, Indian sun. Mad at my luck, I informed my professor I was ill and went back to sleep until the STD phone place opened at 9. I first called Uncle David for some medical advice, then mum and dad for some sympathy. Afterwards, I needed to find a pharmacy to pick up some Imodium. I asked the desk at the hotel, and they gave me vague instructions. While trying to make my way there, a high-school-aged boy started talking to me, claiming he wanted to practice his English, even though I told him I was from France. He ended up taking me to the pharmacy, and I was incredibly grateful, as I would have never found it on my own.

When I got back to the hotel, I payed an exuberant amount of money to use their computers and chat online with the fam. At this point, I didn't really give a rat's tail. I was sitting in the "Business Centre" with tears gently rolling down my cheeks, and all I wanted was a big hug, a back rub, and some food that I knew wouldn't make me sick. And that's the most frustrating part of this whole ordeal--I thought I had been uber cautious about what I was eating and drinking. Uncle David tried to console me by saying the only sure-fire-way to avoid getting sick since I'm not from here is to live in one of those plastic bubbles. The idea is tempting...

After another attempt at rest, I got a phone call from one of my professors "checking in." Apparently it is very hot in Agra and they won't be getting back to Delhi until 11:30-ish tonight. I guess I made the right decision, after all. I would have been miserable otherwise. In the meantime, I will have to be content with reading about the "beautiful monument of love which was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in 1648 AD on the banks of river Yamuna" in one of the many handouts they made us bring. I'm sure it looks exactly like all of the pictures, anyway. And, though I'm not planning on returning to India any time soon, this will give me an excuse to come back some day...maybe.

My experience in India has been...incredible. If nothing, I have come to greatly appreciate good health and clean air. Sicknesses and all, I am glad I came, but I think I will be even gladder to get back home. I can't wait to eat a spinach salad from the garden with some strawberries, avocado, and lightly toasted pecans...mmmm. And a nice, bloody hamburger. (And that coming from a vegetarian!)

Finally, I must have a shout out to those who have been emailing me and commenting on my writings. I dearly miss you, and your support is what keeps me going. I know, I know, that sounds sappy and overly sentimental, but it is true. I love you.

4 comments:

mamasabow said...

You go girl! You're making amazing memories and you seem to be able to smile through the storms, which will carry you far in life, believe me! I know that we ALL have enjoyed your blogs. You've given us a chance to be there with you. My very favorite story was the monkey popping in for breakfast! You'll never forget that moment. We can't wait to see you and give you one of the many hugs you've been waiting for. Love you AA

Uncle David says: I'm eager for you to come home so I can hug you and make it "all better".

Sean said...

When do you come back? I'm sorry that your study abroad experience has been dampened with sickness. I can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you have been "under the weather," Kels, but your attitude towards it all has been amazing! I, too, have enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for taking the time to keep us so updated. Can't wait to see your smiling face soon at the lake!

Aunt Patty

Anonymous said...

This may be too late for u to read. We just got back from Alaska and I was reading the last of your blogs. You should have brought packaged pudding to eat! JK
Aunt Sharon